Dietary fat: is it good or bad?
Both. not all fats are created equal.
Heavily processed, hydrogenated “trans” fats used in prepared, packaged foods can be extremely damaging to the body. They can compromise the cardiovascular system, immune system, and contribute to behavior problems. They can also lead to weight gain, skin breakouts, high blood pressure, and liver strain.
Many people are scared of fats, but our bodies need fat for insulation, vitamin and mineral absorption, and to protect our organs. High-quality fats can steady our metabolism, keep hormone levels even, nourish our skin, hair, and nails, and provide lubrication to keep the body functioning fluidly. You CANNOT lose weight without eating good fats. It fills you up, guards against hunger pains, and keeps you healthy. Talk to me about a perfect plan.
Where to Find Healthy Fats
· Avocados, olives, coconuts, wild salmon, and omega-3 rich organic eggs.
· Whole nuts and seeds, and their butters like almond butter or tahini.
· Look for the highest quality organic oils when shopping. Words to look for: organic, first-pressed, cold-pressed, extra-virgin, and unrefined. Avoid expeller-pressed, refined, and solvent extracted.
How to Use Healthy Fats When Cooking
· For cooking at high temperatures (stir frying and baking), try butter, ghee (clarified butter), or coconut oil.
· When sautéing foods, try organic extra virgin olive oil.
· Oils like flaxseed, sesame, toasted sesame, walnut, and pumpkin seed are best used unheated in sauces or dressings.
Try this delicious, easy recipe for a great source of healthy fat:
Prep time: 3 minutes
Makes 1 cup
· 1 large peeled and pitted avocado
· 2/3 cup plain yogurt, plain greek yogurt
· 1 diced tomato
· a squirt of lemon or lime juice
· a dash or two of cayenne pepper
· sea salt and black pepper
· Mash avocado with a fork until very smooth.
· Add yogurt, tomato, and cayenne. Blend until smooth. This may be done in a food processor, in a blender, or with a fork.
· Add sea salt and fresh black pepper to taste.
· Serve chilled with mixed raw vegetables.
What are you waiting for? Lose weight, get healthy and eat fat!!